Appendix a Summary

One term that personally stood out to me while I was reading was LAN. It is something I had nearly forgotten about before seeing it again here. When I was younger, there was a game me and my brother used to play, Minecraft. And while we had different devices, we could still play with each other using LAN. Until I read this, I never really understood what LAN meant and how it worked. Of course, now I know it was only possible because we were on the same Wi-Fi.      

Another term that stood out to me was intranet. It is something I had only seen when I started going to LCCC. The first thing I did was sign up as a new student and to do that I needed to go to the student intranet. When I saw that, I thought, why call it intranet when it’s already on the internet? Now I have a better understanding of what intranet means and why they call it that. (On a side note, they need to update the site, it’s ugly, cluttered, and not centered)

One part I personally find most interesting is why we started developing the internet. How it was because of the cold war that I can sit here on my laptop and write this. I always found it interesting how so much advancement in technology can happen because of war. How DARPA laid the groundwork for what’s known now as the internet without any knowledge of what was to come of it.