Chapter 1 Summary

Module one showed me what webpages are made of and how they are used in a basic sense. I have been to hundreds of websites, maybe more as I never counted, but I had never even considered what I was looking at was made of. After reading about html, I went to a website and hit inspect. I never knew how much coding goes into website creation. I find myself with a new kind of respect for website developers.

Now I had always known there was such a thing as private browsing, but I personally never had a reason to use it as an upstanding citizen.  When I read about it, I was surprised to find out that private browsing didn’t mean that whatever someone (not me) searched something, it doesn’t get swept under the rug. That someone who has some knowledge on the subject can still see where you were even if you search in private.  I blame the search engines as they never said anything about this!

Through my years of surfing the web, there would be times where the website asked me to accept or deny their cookies, I never really understood what was happening, but I would click yes. I was always afraid that by accepting the cookies, something bad would happen, but nothing ever did. I began to not even think about cookies. Of course, I have since gotten rid of my unseemly ignorance and now I have a better understanding of them.