Chapter 3 Summary

Throughout my time as a student, there have been many instances where I needed to do research on a certain topic. Whether it was for a project or an essay, I needed to make sure that the information was true and credible. Just as it says in this chapter, you want to look for a few things to make sure the website is legitimate. Like authorship, ownership, content, and appearance. If you look for this list, you will be able to minimize the risk of the information being false or misleading.

For me, Wikipedia has a special place in my heart. It has been there for me through at least 4 major research papers that I had to do in my schooling career. Although this number seems low, it is because many of my past teachers never allowed Wikipedia as a source we could use. Even then, just the sources from Wikipedia have led me to great credible websites that I could use. While in the book it does say some information can’t be trusted, I think the ability for anyone to write about their own experience and knowledge gives the website a personal feeling to some of the subjects that people have written about.

While I believe I have a good grasp on web browsers and how to use them, I never used operators and for example Google’s advanced search feature. This feature is very cool and useful, especially if you’re looking for something very specific. After reading about this feature and how it works, I will incorporate this into my research method when I do my next project that requires me to do some researching. I believe it will enhance my ability to find information quickly and efficiently.